Friday 2 October 2015

BEING YOURSELF?


As a teenager I always assumed by the time I was an adult I'd have it 'all sorted out', I'd know 'who I was' and that'd be that. Well, I'm legally an adult now and have been for a couple months and boy my theory turned out to be bullshit. I don't mean it's impossible to know those kind of things by 18 but I really feel that there's far too much pressure in society duping us into believing we should.

Being yourself is possibly one of the hardest things imaginable, as so often you are merely being the person you want to be perceived as by others.
I truly believe that in our world today we almost entirely live our lives for others without even realising.
How can we possibly be happy if we aren't even happy with ourselves?

Today I received some disappointing news and practically the first thing I thought was, 'what will other people think of me'.
Like wow.
So I sat down and tried to do something to help me snap out of that pointless frame of mind. Today's choice being watching Iris Apfel.

Iris Apfel is the most incredible person. Most people know and love her for her eclectic taste but personally her attitude is what particularly draws me to her.

She's so honest.
'I don't care what people think... I learned a long time ago... I was 19 and had a very traumatic experience... and I learned that I have to go to bed with myself at night and that I have to please myself... and as long as I don't go out of my way to offend anybody that I love, upset my mother or my husband... I'll do my own thing. And if the public doesn't like it, it's their problem, not mine'

This is so applicable to life generally, if you do anything today just try and think about yourself. Think about what makes you happy and sad, what you like and dislike, what you want in life, as after all 'you only have one trip. you might as well enjoy it'.

I've actually never seen the Iris documentary so I'm planning on saving my pennies to rent/buy it and expect some tribute to that sometime soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment